Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Beer Tasting: Natty Green Freedom IPA

Freedom IPA – Natty Green Brewing Company

6.5% ABV, 70 IBU

Enjoyed 08.16.14


As the Father of homebrewing said about a zillion times – “Relax, Have a Homebrew!” This has been expanded by homebrewers everywhere to imply that you ought to be drinking beer while brewing. What better time to drink that while making beer? I always feel my palette is heightened during brew sessions so I will try to review beers every time I brew. This particular brew sesh was a pale ale I’m making for an upcoming celebration dinner. I picked up the Freedom IPA from Natty Green because I honestly didn’t even realize Natty Green made an IPA! I do believe this is a seasonal offering so grabbing it while it’s available was hard to pass up. I’m an NC Beer connoisseur and pride myself on trying as many beers from NC breweries as I can.


Observations: This beer pours that classic hazy straw color with a thin white head. This isn’t the kind of IPA that blows you away with hops, but still packs a punch of bitterness and leaves you wanting another sip (or gulp). The hop flavor comes through quite tangy and citrusy which really made me focus on the aroma of the hops going in to the pale ale I was brewing.


Conclusions: Overall nothing special, but a solid IPA that brings home the bitterness without being unbalanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment