Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Beer Tasting: New Belgium Snapshot


New Belgium Snapshot

5% ABV, 13 IBU

Enjoyed 08.31.14

Every once in a while I go looking for something a little different than what I normally drink just to change it up. I’ve overdosed lately on IPA’s and imperial stouts, so this offering from New Belgium was enticing as I hadn’t had a wheat beer in a while. This used to be my favorite style when I first started getting into craft beer and while it isn’t my fave style anymore It’s a good standby.

Observations: When I first poured I saw almost no haziness at all so I wasn’t sure if maybe the beer had been accidentally labeled wrong. Seeing as how haziness is a standard of the style I was quickly refreshed when the lemony citrus hit my nose. They call it “Snap” because of the tartness that hits as you swallow. The overall flavor is dominated by the lemony tartness that is very refreshing. If I was drinking this on a hot day or at the beach it would have hit the spot, but later at night when I was in a beer sipping mood wasn’t quite right.


Conclusions : Change the setting a bit and this would have been a great beer. I’d recommend this as an intro to a sour beer if you haven’t quite branched out that far. Not exactly a prototypical wheat beer – but an easy drinker I’d reach for again.

No comments:

Post a Comment