Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Chimay Grand Reserve (Blue Label) Tasting


9% ABV, 20 IBU

Enjoyed 08.08.14

I came home from work to a totally unexpected surprise from my amazing wife Mrs. Hacksaw. I just finished my master’s degree from Penn State and was greeted with a steak dinner, balloons and most importantly - Chimay Grand Reserve or as I like to call it – Blue Label. I think of Chimay sometimes like I think of Johnny Walker – call me a rebel that’s just how my mind works. She chose the Blue Label to show enthusiasm for Penn State of course! I did a bit more than taste this 25.4 oz of Belgian Dark Strong excellency – I polished the bottle off over the course of the evening.

Observations: The Chimay Grand Reserve pours a dark amber color and if there was a head on this beer I missed it as the high carbonation level spritzed it away. This did not detract from this wonderful Trappist brews flavor. It smells of raisins and alcohol and the continues through the flavor. The fruity malty Belgian balance evolves as this beer warms up, but the enjoyability seems to only increase. This may be in part to the 9% ABV that certainly is detectable in the flavor as well.

Conclusion: This is one of the most popular Trappist beers for a reason. You want a beer to sit down and get to know over the course of an evening? This is your beer. The complexities are amazing and while I might recommend you split a 25.4 oz bottle with a friend – it’s easy to want to hoard this on to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment