Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Beer Tasting: Pliny the Elder

Pliny the Elder
8% ABV

Enjoyed 11.15.14



Background: The quest for Pliny the Elder is something many an East Coast dwelling beer nerd has taken on. I can't remember exactly when I first heard about Pliny, but it is often discussed as an almost mythical and legendary type of beer that only the rarest of heroes has the privilege of drinking. It is placed upon a high mighty pedestal for Imperial IPA's and frequently thrown in conversations as the best beer people have ever had. Years have gone by since I've been into homebrewing without so much as seeing a bottle of Pliny. I have read reviews and even based recipes on what people claim would be similar to Pliny - yet I had never even tasted it! Finally on 11.15.14 Down the Hall delivered a bottle that he picked up on his California Beerventure to be consumed during an NC State tailgate.



Observations: I was expecting to be blown away by massive hop aroma as I poured this beer into a woefully inadequate Red Solo Cup, but instead I was delighted to find that this mythical creation is really more about perfect balance. There is slight citrus and grapefruit in the nose but nothing overwhelming. The light golden color seems to establish that this is the color all Double IPA's should be. I'm pretty sure Pliny whispered that to me as I took my first glorious sip. Never have I been so struck by balance before. It isn't overly bitter or citrusy or malty, but rather the balance is amazing. There is certainly a good amount of grapefruit and slight pine as you drink it, but the malt balance that seems to come on is so pristine and in harmony with the ABV and bitterness you almost forget this is a DIPA. I could write pages and pages describing how balanced and amazing this beer is, but I would still fall short.


Conclusions : Living up to the hype and yet surprising me with how perfectly balanced it was I can't not recommend this beer to everyone. If you are 21 have a pulse - you need to at least sample this legendary creation.

--Ben











No comments:

Post a Comment