Friday, December 5, 2014

Beer Advent: Days 2-4

Day 2
Wookey Jack Black IPA - Firestone Walker 
ABV - 8.3%




Hacksaw
Day 2 brings Wookey Jack from Firestone Walker. Although I personally have not fallen in love with the Black IPA style this beer was very enjoyable. The sniff test revealed loads of citrusy hops and the taste seemed like a pot of coffee had been poured over a bowl of fruit. Except it managed to all blend fairly well and be balanced.



Hmm... maybe my word descriptions of beer are a bit extreme. What did you think?

Down the Hall
The Wookey Jack!  I didn't find the descriptions too extreme.  It perfectly captures the beautiful paradox of the Black IPA.  I will say that I have become quite enamored with the style and Firestone Walker has put out one of the best ones I've had.  I've found Black IPAs to either be amazing or just kind of so-so.  The balance that is required to get the "pot of coffee poured over a bowl of fruit" flavor profile to work is a tricky one.

 The nose on this one could seriously be a west coast IPA.  And honestly, if you stripped out the dark malts, I'd wager it would still be right tasty.  Yet, the deep black color and the bold yet subtle roasted flavors open your mind to new dimensions of hoppy delight!

An excellent day two.

Day 3
Fish Tail Organic Wild Salmon Pale Ale - Fish Brewing
ABV - 5.5%




Down the Hall
So, as it turns out, the Fish Tale Organic Wild Salmon Pale Ale is not brewed with organic wild salmon.  I have to say I was relieved.  Mine poured a bit heady (as did some of the others I've asked), so that took a while to fight through.  At first I was a little worried that it might be oxidized, but my fears were unfounded after I got a good sip (of actual beer).

While I think it may be past its optimal drink-by date, I thought the beer itself was pretty tasty.  Light, fruity, and refreshing.  Certainly more suitable for summer, but hey, when is it ever a bad time for beer?

 I also noted its high Beer Advocate score, so it was interesting to try to pull out the subtle differences that set it apart from other pales.

Hacksaw
Wait - there weren't any Wild Salmon involved in the brewing of this beer? Probably a good thing since they'd likely die in the thin body I detected. You think yours was heady! Look at that pic of my beer foolishly poured into a Belgian glass. I had to scoop that head out with a spoon.

I wasn't impressed by this beer at all. I enjoyed the cascade finish - probably what is keeping the Salmon alive - but outside of that I thought the bitterness balance leaned towards too bitter. I looked for those subtle differences that set it apart and... well let's just say I'm still looking.

Day 4
Original Oktoberfest - Hacker-Pschorr
ABV - 5.8%




Down the Hall
Ze Germans have arrived to make their statement with the Original Oktoberfest by Hacker-Pschorr.  I've gotta say, I wasn't super excited when I saw this one was an Oktoberfest.  Typically, I'm not that big of a fan.  Usually I find them a little too sweet with a funky, biscuity aftertaste.

However, I must say this is the best Oktoberfest I've ever had.  It manages to be light but still full flavored.  I envisioned it as a beer you could drink after a big Thanksgiving meal and not be completely sick.  Strangely enough, there was a bit of a fruity aftertaste that reminded me of fruit punch Juicy Juice from back in the day.

So, on the whole, I'd say I was pleasantly surprised with this choice and it again forced me to reach outside of the crushingly complex styles to appreciate great beer.

On another random note, what's with the Germans only putting 11.2 oz in a bottle?  It must be some round metric number or something, but still, I feel entitled to that last 0.8 oz!

Hacksaw
First things first Jacob. 11.2oz is almost exactly 1/3 of a liter. As an engineer you should know the rest of the world merrily cruises along with the metric system. 3 beers in a liter is a nice round number don't you think? Now our silly 12 ounce bottles don't really seem to mean anything at all. A gallon would be 10.6 of our 12oz bottles or maybe it is supposed to be 3/4 of a pint... you get the point.

Yes the Germans invaded our taste buds and apparently a few of your friends based on your pic up there! Oktoberfest is not my favorite style by any stretch of the imagination but this beer was so clean and refreshing it was hard not to like. The sweetness and light biscuit flavor were enjoyable and certainly to style. I gotta say the Germans know how to make an Oktoberfest - big surprise to no one.

Can't wait for today and the weekend!






No comments:

Post a Comment