Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Beer Tasting: Dogfish Head Saison du BUFF

Dogfish Head Saison du BUFF

6.8% ABV
Enjoyed on 10.5.2014

So technically Saison du BUFF isn't exclusively a Dogfish Head beer.  It's actually a collaboration between them, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company.  I just happened to grab the Dogfish Head version.  As Hacksaw and I have done our share of collaborations, when the big boys get together, I'm always excited to see what they come up with.


I actually scored this one at a really cool place in Apex, NC called the Beer Dispensary.  They have a ton of different brews, including an incredible selection of stuff that is harder to come by.  Not only that, but they have a handful of beers on tap for purchase while you peruse the masses, trying to narrow down your selection.  I had been promised a six pack, so with the time it took to narrow my choices, I was glad I had a beer in hand to guide me.

Observations:  Like a good farmhouse ale should, Saison du BUFF pours a light straw color with a white head which doesn't stick around long.  The nose is comprised a of a bouquet of lemon and a handful of spices.  I was able to pull out thyme and sage, and perhaps a hint of rosemary.  Both in the nose and in the flavor, the spices are delightfully understated, never offering much more than a hint.  The beer starts sweet and citrusy and ends with a crisp, dry finish with the thyme and rosemary lingering a bit after the citrus fades.  It's light, crisp, and really tasty, never overpowering with any piece of the flavor puzzle.

Conclusions:  Would that I could drink one of these every day over the summer.  I've noticed that saisons with some kind of spice added have become more popular recently, and for that I am certainly thankful.  The gentle hint of something like basil, thyme, or ginger only adds to the refreshing drinkability of the style, and this collaboration brew is no exception.

Cheers!
Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment