Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Beer Tasting: Allagash Black

Allagash Black
7.5% ABV

Recently one of my local haunts hosted an Allagash tap takeover weekend.  I had limited experience with Allagash's beer, but knowing their reputation I had determined that I couldn't miss it.  Sure enough, the beer was phenomenal and led me on a hunt to basically buy any Allagash that I'd not had before.  I found this little guy, which played ever so nicely into the Belgian kick that I've been on recently.  


Observations: As the name suggests, Allagash Black pours a deep black with a fairly thin, light tan head.  The nose is faint, but a bouquet of chocolate and dark fruit is still detectable.  Unlike other big stouts, this one has a light and bright mouthfeel.  The flavor profile is a delightful combination of cherries, chocolate, and a hint of licorice at the end. The finish leaves you with the taste of coffee, which lingers and begs you to take another sip.

A very good, very approachable beer, I think this one would appeal to many audiences.  Those who dislike syrupy, thick stouts will find Black pleasantly light, while those who seek bold flavors will not be disappointed.  The Belgian twist gives a unique fruity profile which makes it drink like a dessert, and as it warms, the fruity notes become a bit more pronounced.  If you see one, grab it and get ready for a lovely experience!

Cheers,
Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment