Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Beer Tasting: Boulevard Long Strange Tripel

Boulevard Long Strange Tripel
9.2% ABV, 23 IBU

It’s funny how we all go through phases in various aspects of life.  In everything from how busy you are at work to what beers you end up with in the checkout line.  Of late, I’ve been on a bit of a Belgian kick.  I’m not entirely sure why, I suppose they seem to compliment the changing leaves and dropping temperatures rather well.  I was hitting the double IPAs pretty hard a few months ago, now it has been a lot of dubbels and tripels, and who knows what the early throes of winter will bring?

Nevertheless, Boulevard’s Long Strange Tripel ended up in my fridge recently.  Even the bottle itself is impressive, with a fun, trippy label.  There’s something I love about bottle conditioned beers with corks.  It makes you feel like you’re opening something really fancy, and honestly just kind of adds to the whole drinking experience.

Observations:  The Long Strange Tripel pours golden with a robust white head, which dissipates fairly quickly.  The nose is fruity with citrus being the primary aroma.  The first sip starts very sweet and leads right in to tangerine and apricot flavors before drying out at the finish.  The mouthfeel is bubbly and fairly light, which allows it to maintain a lot of sweetness without becoming syrupy, as tripels occasionally do.  The alcohol burn at the end is really quite mild, hiding its true 9.2% character.  As it warms a bit, the fruit flavors become more pronounced without the sweetness growing unbearable, making it a really nice brew to spend an evening with.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one.  I can’t say that everyone would like it, and even for me it was a bit on the sweet side, but that is but a product of the style and the Long Strange is still one of the best tripels I’ve had.  I definitely recommend spending some time on this one, both to fully get to know it and to keep that subtly high ABV at bay.  As the nights get colder though, this one will make a great companion!

Cheers,
Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment