Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Beer Advent: Day 1

Rude Elf's Reserve - Fegleys Brew Works
ABV - 10.5%
Beer Advent Day: 1


Down the Hall
Happy December, Hacksaw!  More importantly, Happy Beer Advent!  I'm glad your calendar showed up just in the nick of time to get started.  And Jiminy Christmas did it get started.



The Rude Elf's Reserve might be thus named because it smells like an elf farting in your face.  Ultimately I can't say I hated it, but the Christmas spices overwhelmed what seemed like a solid Belgian dark strong.  At 10%, it had enough punch to hang with Santa's entire spice rack and still manage to be enjoyable.  At the end of it all, I did like it, but unlike most of the beers from last year's advent, I didn't find myself craving another.

What'd you think about the opening round of 2014?

Hacksaw
While I have no 2013 Beer Advent to compare it to, I must say I was pretty pleased with the start of 2014. You think it smelled like an elf farting in your face? I think it was more like a Keebler elf baked a fresh batch of cookies and served them up in a glass!

Perhaps he did steal Santa's entire spice rack, but I must say it was an enjoyable experience. I'm fond of the Belgian Strong style so I know I'm biased - oh and my beer wasn't super cold so maybe my experience was bit different. The lighter body and high carbonation brought the balance to the spices I thought the beer needed. Really helped the spices be more refreshing than overwhelming to me.

 I can't wait for what day 2 will bring!

No comments:

Post a Comment