Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Beer Advent: Days 11-14

Day 11
Two Hearted - Bells Brewing Company
ABV - 7.0%
















Down the Hall Bell's Two Hearted Ale!  What an all around excellent brew.  I have to say this is one of those beers that I've been familiar with for a long time and it really never gets old.  Great balance, great aroma, really everything you'd want in an IPA.  Plus, it's not so overpoweringly bitter as to chase any hop-averse drinkers away.  What do you think, a good gateway to IPAs? 


I also love the label.  It's so delightfully random.  As it turns out, the beer is named after the Two Hearted River in Michigan's upper peninsula.  So I guess that helps make sense of the fish.


Hacksaw I'm going to say something about this beer that may be controversial. I am putting it just below Pliny the Elder. Yes. I said it! This IPA has that balance that is so hard to describe. The hop flavor is like candy in your mouth but somehow it manages to be perfectly balanced with the malts. It is crisp and clean and incredibly approachable for non hop lovers as you mentioned. This isn't a gateway to IPA's Jacob. This is like the finish line and the starting line all put together!

This is how I want to model my next IPA that I make. I want that balance but with a full hop profile all the way through. I've struggled pinpointing exactly what I like in a world class IPA, but after having Pliny a few months ago and then having this Two Hearted I think I have it figured out.

Day 12
Monk's Blood - 21st Amendment 
ABV - 8.3%


Down The Hall Ah, Monk's Blood.  If this isn't a testament that you can get good beer in cans, I don't know what is.  I think Monk's Blood embodies everything that I really love about Belgian strong ales.  It's bold, yet approachable.  Boozy, yet sweet.  

I've come to really like 21st Amendment in the last few months.  The combination of their original and innovative spirit, the availability of most of their brews, and the fact that I don't think I've ever had a bad beer from them (including the watermelon one!) has made them one of my favorite go-to breweries.  Plus, they're in San Francisco...GO GIANTS!

Hacksaw Way to give a shout out to the Giants since the 49er's are officially eliminated from NFL playoff contention :P

If actual Monk's blood tasted like this I would become a vampire. I agree with you completely on your assessment. The higher alcohol on this one is noticeable, which is a little different than some Belgian Strong Ales where you can barely tell. However that slight burn is what ties it all together for me. Now I haven't tried the watermelon beer (nor do I intend do unless forced), but am a fan of 21st Amendment as well. I've managed to make it to their brewpub in San Fran twice! 

Down the Hall Yeah, somehow the 49ers didn't stick for me... I think the spiral after the Steve Young and Jerry Rice years, coupled with the east coast move and lack of internet left me in football apathy for a while in my youth.

I think you might be on to a straight to Netflix movie about washed up, alcoholic vampires... we should get on that.

Day 13
Old Rasputin - North Coast Brewing
ABV - 9.0%

HacksawOld Rasputin pours like syrup, looks like black hole, and tastes amazing. This one is on the sweeter side of imperials and there is a supposed cult like following for it. After having one about 7 years ago I remembered nothing about this beer. Now all I can say is that I'd like to join that cult.

Down The HallMmmm yes, sign me up too!  This is one of the few repeats from last year, back by popular demand.  I really have no complaints with this one.  It's exactly what an imperial stout should be, and the sweetness cuts any of the astringency you might get from piling on all those dark malts.  

One of the aspects that impresses me is that I liked this just as much as some bourbon stouts out there.  While Old Rasputin doesn't have that extra flavor profile, it's still just as smooth as something that's been sitting in a bourbon barrel for a year.  Well done by North Coast Brewing.  Did you let your better half try this one?  I know she likes the bourbon stouts (and little else), so maybe she'd like it.

Hacksaw - I did let my better half try Old Rasputin and to quote her  "it is just so close to being good". I don't know exactly what it was that would make it good other than bourbon.



Day 14
LIVE Pale Ale - Southern Tier Brewing 
ABV - 5.5%













Down The HallWhat did you think of the Southern Tier Live Ale?  Definitely a change of pace from the Old Rasputin, but I actually enjoyed it.  As homebrewers, we know all about not pouring that last quarter inch of a bottle conditioned beer.  Not entirely sure what the bottle conditioning added to this one, other than its name and identity I suppose.  I felt like it was a solid beer though and another example of something I would normally not grab off the shelf.  I'm still always excited about opportunities to try new beers!

Hacksaw - Southern Tier Live was pretty decent. I think mine was a tad oxidized, but overall the bottle conditioned gimmick worked for me. I almost poured the whole thing into a glass since I primarily keg now, and have forgotten the bottling woes of my former self! The thing that stuck out to me on this beer was the malt profile was detectable beneath the mild bitterness. I enjoyed letting it play a little Live concert in my mouth before swallowing each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment