Friday, December 12, 2014

Beer Advent: Days 8-10

Day 8
Whale's Tale Pale Ale
ABV - 5.6%


Hacksaw
Whale's Tale Pale Ale brought a solid experience for me. Thankfully it was brewed without the harming of whale's anywhere! I found more malty flavors than I was expecting in a pale, but the slight hop flavor and mild bitterness were there on the finish. I felt like Moby Dick was splashing my taste buds with a wave as I was swallowing each time.

Down the Hall
Yeah, looks like the Whale's Tale Pale Ale substituted rhyming for actual whale parts.  Probably for the best there.  Definitely more of an English pale ale with more malt body and slightly understated hop character.  I can't really say anything bad about it, it was a solid pale, easy drinking, and a really pretty pour to boot.  I love the canned craft beer wave, so extra props for that.  But it wasn't particularly inspiring.  I do like gaining experience with some of these beers I've seen before but never tried.  It does make me curious to try some more of Cisco's brews.  On a separate note, with this beer I crested 500 unique check-ins on Untappd!  I'm now legendary or something apparently.


Hacksaw
You've been legendary way before you hit 500 check-ins! Oh and nice photobomb MRS DOWN THE HALL! Did you see I managed to sneak a fish tank into my pic?

Day 9
Scuttlebutt Porter
ABV - 5.8%

Down the Hall
Day 9 brought what seemed to be a bit more seasonably appropriate offering.  The Scuttlebutt Porter was pretty much what I think of as porter 101.  Nice and dark with roasted coffee notes and a hint of chocolate.  Ever since I started brewing I've wondered what the real difference between porter and stout is.  I'm convinced that the line between the two has been smeared such that in today's beer culture, the two terms can be used almost interchangeably.  

I for one couldn't go into a brewery, taste their stout, and spit it in the bartenders face and accuse them of mislabeling a true porter, or vice versa.  Nevertheless, I found this fairly interesting article which seems to corroborate that feeling.  The article nicely wraps up this phenomenon, citing that "originally a stout was simply a strong version of porter: today the difference is whatever you want it to be."  

Anyway, in my mind, if I had to pick a rule of thumb difference, I would say that there are two things I look for.  For one, I feel like porters can be a little less dark and a little less full bodied, setting them as a sort of bridge between a brown ale and a stout.  The second is that roasted, almost bitter flavor that a lot of robust porters embody.  While stouts have some of the same flavors, I tend to like my stouts a bit smoother and maybe with a bit more chocolate notes.  Just one man's thoughts on an inconsequential topic.

Speaking of inconsequential topics, since I was in research mode, I paid a visit to Wikipedia to figure out where the term "scuttlebutt" originated.  As you are probably aware, the term colloquially means "gossip" or "rumor".  It actually refers to the "water cooler" of traditional wooden ships back in the day.  They used butts, or casks, to carry water on board the ship, then they would scuttle them, or cut a hole in them, to get the water out.  Hence, you'd take a break from swabbing the deck, head over to the ol' scuttled butt, and talk crap about the captain with your fellow sailors.  The more you know.  Thanks Wikipedia!

So, after much digression, I enjoyed the Porter as a sturdy example of what I look for in a robust porter.  I'm probably not throwing a few back at a time, just because some of those roasty flavors get a little harsh after a while, but still right tasty.

Hacksaw
After your exposition on the stout vs porter it got me thinking how I would distinguish the two. I think in my mind if it has roasted barley in the grain bill or has significant roasted flavors then it is a stout. If not and it is a porter. On that note let me say that my scuttlebutt was not good. Tasted like it had been burned or scorched or something happened. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to porters so I was really disappointed.

Day 10
Mama's Little Yella Pils - Oskar Blues
ABV - 5.3%


Hacksaw
Mama's Little Yella Pils has completely changed my mind on Pilsners. For so long I've been addicted to the biggest boldest Double IPAs and praising my own Bourbon Imperial Stout that I forgot how delicious a well made Pilsner could be. I often viewed them on the same scale as a light beer, but no more.

This beer was so crisp and refreshing but followed by a hint of sweetness that tantalized the taste buds into wanting the next sip. I went from fairly strong disappointment when I opened the wrapping on the can to total mind-beer revolution. I can't fully explain how this beer has changed my views in this short writeup, but I can tell you it has changed it a lot.

Down the Hall
I have to fully agree with your assessment.  I too had the same moderate disappointment at first, but it really impressed me.  This was another one of those beers that I've seen a lot but have really just never bothered to try because I assumed it would be kind of boring.  I guess I should have known better coming from Oskar Blues.

I've never been averse to pilsners, but I've always seen them as just another beer.  I am really glad we got the chance to try the Little Yella Pils, and I honestly think I might find myself buying a six pack when it gets a little warmer.  This would be the perfect hiking or biking beer.  Throw a couple of cans in your pack and you're good to go!  Also, tailgating, cookouts, really anything where you want something with full flavor that's sessionable and won't fill you up (or knock you down) too fast.  Bravo to day 10!

No comments:

Post a Comment